Parish Council Facilities
The Parish Council owns a number of facilities and resources within the Parish, and has responsibilities for the upkeep of others. Here is a description of these:
The Recreation Ground
Situated at the end of Queens Way, the Recreation Ground provides open space for the village, and includes the Sports Pavilion, the Multi-Use Games Area (MUGA), a Play Area, and two hard Tennis Courts as well as a good size car park. The Recreation Ground itself covers 2.91 hectares, a good part of which is maintained as a football pitch.
Please note that dogs are not allowed on any part of the Recreation ground and surrounding area apart from a marked dog-walking path from the car park down to and alongside the Oakington Brook.
The Sports Pavilion, (otherwise known as “Oakington Pavilion” or just “The Pavilion”) comprises a large hall used for indoor sports or other functions, and a small meeting room, along with kitchen and toilet facilities. There are changing facilities for sports on the surrounding pitches. Pavilion use is managed and booked through the Pavilion Committee (see the Oakington Pavilion Section under the Local Facilities section of this website).
The MUGA is a fenced hard-surfaced area designed for activities such as 5-a-side football. It has floodlighting for use in the evenings, and goal posts and netting. For access details please contact the Pavilion Committee.
Next to it is a basketball hoop, but not a complete court.
The Play Area has a good number of pieces of play equipment for children of all ages up to 12. There is a cable slide suitable for slightly older children. Supervision of children is the responsibility of parents or carers at all times.
The Tennis Courts are managed and booked through the Oakington and Westwick Tennis Club, please see their access details in the Local Directory section. Membership of the Tennis Club is required, but temporary membership can be arranged.
Next to the Tennis Courts is a small section of railway line. This used to be part of the St Ives to Cambridge line that used to run along the current track of the Guided Busway, about 400 metres to the east of the Recreation Ground. This section was acquired to help remember when Oakington had a railway service! For further details of the line and Oakington Station please see here.
The Community Orchard
Accessed via the path alongside the Pavilion, the Community Orchard holds about 40 assorted fruit trees in an early stage of development. Once these trees mature, the fruit will be made available to residents of the Parish, and details of what is available and guidelines for access to it will be published accordingly.
The Oakington and Westwick Cemetery can also be accessed from the Car Park. It is a small and quiet cemetery that has been in use in the village for about 50 years since the St Andrews Churchyard became full. A set of rules and tariffs can be found here. Please contact the Clerk for further information.
The Village Green
Situated at the junction of Water Lane and the High Street is a small Village Green. It contains the Village Sign, and a public bench. The village sign commemorates a number of the historical aspects of the area and sits on a plinth containing part of the old Oakington Mill. The area was at one time a pond used for watering passing livestock but was filled in when the need for this passed.
About 100 metres along the High Street from the Village Green is a small piece of land known as Stocks Green, which lies in front of the Baptist Church.
It is believed that the name derived from a time when there were stocks there used to punish local miscreants, but the other details of the history of this area are unclear.
The parish has one set of allotments, size 0.75 hectares. These are situated south-west of Cambridge Road. They are managed by the Allotments Committee under Ron Koehler of Orchard Way, but at present there is a considerable waiting list. The Parish Council is trying to identify a second piece of suitable land for further allotments, and hope to announce the availability of these in due course.
Longstanton Road Telephone Kiosk
The now disused Telephone Kiosk on Longstanton Road is also in the ownership of the Parish Council, and is due to be repaired and renovated and redeployed for some useful local purpose. Suggestions for this are invited, please contact the Clerk.
The phone service was removed by British Telecom due to lack of use. Please note there is no longer a public phone in the village.
Other public areas, footpaths etc. within the village are not owned or maintained by the Parish Council but we can usually help by reporting any issues to whoever is responsible for maintenance, and trying to ensure that they follow this up. General maintenance issues with roadways or footpaths can usually be reported directly by members of the public to the County Council Highways department at http://www.cambridgeshire.gov.uk/highwayfaults. Street light faults can also be reported here. If you do not have access to the Internet, you can also report problems by phone to the County Council Contact Centre on 0345 045 5212.
The Martyrs’ Graves
Next to St Andrew’s Churchyard and approached by a path alongside the Churchyard are the three “Martyr’s Graves”. These are the graves of three 17th century vicars who between them were largely responsible for the establishment of various non-Conformist churches in Cambridgeshire at that time. The Reverend Francis Holcroft and Reverend Joseph Oddey were known as the “Apostles of Cambridgeshire” and were succeeded in their aims and work by the Reverend Henry Osland.
The three were dismissed from their livings, persecuted and imprisoned for their beliefs and actions, which included refusing to take Charles II’s 1662 Oath of Allegiance to the Anglican Church. While imprisoned in Cambridge Castle, a sympathetic warder would sometimes let them out to preach and work in secret. The Reverend Holcroft in particular seems to have established many churches in south Cambridgeshire while supposed to be in prison.
The epitaphs on their graves although now obscure read approximately as follows:
Reverend Holcroft: “Here lyeth the body of Mr Francis Holcroft, Minister of the Gospil, who died January 6th 1692 and in the 50 ninth yeare of his age. Daniel 12th v:3 and they that be wise shall shine as the brightness of the firmament and they that turne many to righteousness as the stares for ever and ever.”
Reverend Oddey: “Here lyeth buryed the body of Mr Joseph Oddey, Minister of the Gospell, desesed the third of May 1687. Mark the perfect man, and behould the upright for the end of that man is peace.”
Reverend Osland: “Here lyeth the body of Mr Henry Osland, Minister of the Gospel, who after 17 years faithfull dispensation of the same in Ye Church gathred at Willingham and Cottenham ended this life November Ye 19th Anno Dom. 1711, in Ye 43 year of his age.”
Short life histories of the three have been compiled by the late Mr Ralph Warboys and can be viewed on a notice affixed to the fence surrounding the graves.
Do pay the site a visit if in the area (but be careful to mind your head when entering through the gate to the site).
Although officially in the care of the United Reform Church, in practice maintenance of the Martyr’s Grave site is performed jointly by the Parish Council and various local church groups. Please report to the Parish Council any issues that need attention.